Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Paneer Butter Masala/Cottage Cheese in Indian gravy


Recipe Courtesy : Sanjeev Kapoor :)

The IPL is almost coming to an end and I have bitten off almost all my nails..., I will miss all the action :(.., Well.., nothing to lose., I better start looking up to the World T20.., Till then I just cant stop CHANTING (literally).., Go Chargers'!!!!!!!!!!!

Haan, so the other day, I was going through one of my many Sanjeev Kapoor cookbooks.. I wanted to make something colorful that would attract the kids.., But Ashu (the naughtiest one) was adamant that I make him a Paneer curry. The rest of the kids too joined in.., :D the best part about making this Paneer butter masala was that I had the kids patiently helping me out in the kitchen.. It was fun.., Here goes the recipe and as I mentioned I read it in a Sanjeev kapoor book.. :)

Paneer Butter Masala:

Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 30-40 minutes

Ingredients :
  • 3 big Tomatoes - pureed
  • 250 gms Paneer/Cottage Cheese - cubed
  • 2 big onions
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 2 Cloves
  • 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 tsp Red chilli powder
  • 3 tbsps Cashewnut paste
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1 tsp Dhania powder (dry coriander powder)
  • 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
  • 1 tsp Tandoori masala (optional for color)-The recipe says tandoori masala., I didn't have any at home.., So I used simple Food color
  • 2 tsp Garam Masala powder
  • Salt and Lemon juice - to taste
  • 3 tbsp Butter
  • 3 tbsp Fresh Cream
  • Fresh Coriander for garnishing
Method:

Skin the onions and blanch them in hot water for 3 mins, then puree them to form a paste. Do the same with tomaotes, unless you are using tomato puree directly.Take 1 tbsp of ghee, heat in a pan for 2 mins, the saute the paneer cubes in it till golden brown; Now take 1 cup hot water, add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder to it and immerse the paneer cubes in it for 10-12 mins. Then remove the pieces, drain them on a tissue paper and keep aside.Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a pan, add the bay leaf and the cloves, then add the onion paste and saute till light-brown. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 3 minutes. Add chilli powder, followed by the cashew paste and fry for 5 mins.Add tomato puree, crushed kasuri methi,coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Stir and let it simmer for some time.Add the paneer cubes and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add a small cup of water and let it cook on medium heat till you get the desired curry consistency. Remove from fire, stir in remaining butter and fresh cream. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with Chapatis, Naan or any Rice/Pulao.. :)


No comments:

Search This Blog